skip to content


  Live chat by LivePerson

Filing Your Return


Many free tax filing options are available. Which one is the best for you depends on your income, age, and where you live. It also depends on whether you want to prepare and file your tax return yourself, or if you would like someone to prepare and file it for you. 

Have your tax return prepared for you | Prepare your own return | Helpful hints for preparing your own return

Would you like someone to prepare your return for you?

You may be eligible for assistance at a VITA or AARP Tax-Aide Site.

Volunteer Income Tax Assitance (VITA) is an IRS program that offers free tax preparation services to eligible taxpayers. Who Qualifies to Use Services at VITA Sites: Anyone with a household income of less than $50,000 per year and a fairly straightforward tax return.

AARP Tax-Aide Montana is a partnership with the IRS and AARP that offers free tax preparation to low- and moderate-income people, with preference to taxpayers age 60 and older. You may call (888) 227-7669 or visit the AARP Tax-Aide website for more information.

To find a VITA or AARP Tax-Aide site near you, visit the Tax Site Locations page. Sites are run by trained volunteers and are located at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls, credit unions, and many other locations,

Those with complex tax returns may NOT be eligible for assistance at a VITA or AARP Tax-Aide site.

back to top

Would you like to prepare your own tax return?

If so, the options below are available to you.

  • If you made less than $58,000 during 2013 you can file your federal and state taxes online for free with MyFreeTaxes, as well as find useful tax-related tools and information. All you need to get started is an email address and your 2013 tax forms. For assistance with dial 855-My-Tx-Help.

  • IRS Free File allows on-line federal income tax preparation and e-filing through a partnership agreement between the IRS and members of the tax software industry. Some vendors also offer free state tax filing services as well.
  • The Montana Department of Revenue offers free electronic filing options for taxpayers. These options include the Montana Form 2EZ (short form), Form 2M (intermediate form) and Form 2 (long form), as well as Form 2EC (elderly homeowner/renter credit). All of these services are free, secure and user friendly. If you choose to e-File and use direct deposit, you should receive refunds within 5 to 10 days.

*Please note that these free filing options are for Montana tax returns only and you may still have a federal filing obligation

back to top.

Helpful Hints for Preparing Your Own Return Online:

  • If you do not have access to a computer or the Internet, visit one of the free Internet locations across the state. Check out the list here.
  • If you choose to file your own tax return using one of the websites listed above, make a note of which site you use and any log-in information you create. staff cannot access any tax returns or login information from the above websites. You will need to contact the website you use to prepare your return if you have questions/difficulties with your tax return.

back to top

Questions? Call 1-800-666-6899 is brought to you by: Montana Legal Services Assoc., Montana Credit Unions, Montana Department of Revenue, Opportunity Link Inc., RDI, and Student Assistance Foundation.

Disclaimer Admin Login  
powered by